English Weather

I know most people think the English and Brits in general get too hung up about the weather, but were else could you experience sub-zero temperatures and freezing fog one day and pouring rain the next?

The 10th January we saw one of the most beautiful extremes of weather I've experienced in a long time - fog freezing onto everyting it touched. Early in the day the light was fairly flat & uninteresting, but later in the morning the sun broke through and gave me an excuse to go for a walk with my wife and new Canon G10!

Here are few of the snaps:


Normally we wouldn't give this scene a second look, but with the addition of a little rime it becomes much more interesting!


The Canon G10 handles the extreme contrast in this scene very well - maintaining detail in the highlight areas and minimal noise in the shadows.

Wolstonbury Hill shrouded in freezing fog. One of my favourite places on the South Downs. A place close to home where I can retreat for moments of quiet contemplation or get on with being Chairman of Friends of Wolstonbury.

All of these images have benefitted from a little post-production in Adobe Photoshop - an slight S-curve adjustment layer and a tweek to the brightness and contrast. The original camera images are a little flat for my liking.

There's no doubt about it - it's quite liberating not having to carry a back pack loaded with DSLR gear. But on the other hand at large magnications you can't beat a full frame DSLR such as a Canon 5D Mk II and a decent L Series zoom or prime lens.

I'll post some more images from the G10 as soon as I get a chance.

In the meantime, happy snapping.

Ian

PS If anyone is interested in seeing a comparison between the G10 original files and the final version, do get in touch.

Comments

Popular Posts