Creating the Dave Hill Look

Creating that “Dave Hill” Look
A tutorial for Adobe Photoshop™ CS2, 3 or 4

Skill level: Intermediate/Advanced

Introduction
Dave Hill is a conceptual portrait photographer based in Nashville, Tenessee, USA and renouned for his distinctive edgy looking portraits created with superb lighting and a lot of post production. You will probably not heard of Dave Hill as he has never won an award, nor is he a member of any photographic body (as far as I know), unless you follow any of the American photography or Photoshop blogs.

Just one interpretation of the finished image - download the PDF tutorial for more variations!

What I will demonstrate is my interpretation to the basics of the post production using Adobe Photoshop. Once you have mastered this, you can then adapt the technique to your particular style or needs. The lighting for this tutorial is fairly simple as I was testing the Orbis Ring Flash. If you look closely at Dave Hill's work, much emphasis is placed on the lighting combined with extensive post-production.

When I get a chance I'll organise a shoot with the necessary lighting to demonstrate the whole process of creating some images in the Dave Hill style. If you're interested in getting involved, feel free to contact me by using the contact page at my website.

For your convenience I've created a PDF file of the tutorial which can be downloaded here to print or view at your convenience.

Have a great weekend!

Ian

Comments

Popular Posts